- Museums and Galleries
York Museums Trust was formed on 1st August 2002, as an independent charitable trust to manage the museums and gallery service previously run by City of York Council. Supported by the Council, York Museums Trust is responsible for York Art Gallery, York Castle Museum, Yorkshire Museum and Gardens and York St Mary’s. The museums and galleries are accredited, housed in listed buildings and located in scheduled monument sites. The five sites are: York Castle Museum, Yorkshire Museum, York Art Gallery, York St Mary’s and the York Museum Gardens. Mission York Museums Trust’s mission is to cherish and enhance the collections, buildings and gardens entrusted to us, presenting and interpreting them as a stimulus for learning, a provocation to curiosity and a source of inspiration and enjoyment for all. Our Vision is for York Museums Trust to play a major part in positioning York as a world class cultural centre.
- To protect and conserve the collections, gardens and buildings
- To promote access to the collections, gardens and buildings appropriate to the 21st century
- To attract more visitors to our sites, thus contributing to the local and regional economy
- To create learning opportunities for all and develop an innovative programme springing from the collections, gardens and buildings
- To network and collaborate with partners and contribute to the development of the economic and cultural life of the city and the region
- To raise substantial funds to realise these aims.